- He wasted a lot of power for which we will be victimised for.
- The head count last week was half the usual count.
- White-attired men drunk and yelling on the road sides.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Welcome to the official blog of the Coimbatore Quiz Circle, a group of people who love quizzing as much as they like their Annapoorna sambar, if not more.
We meet every fortnight, breaking the monotony of everyday life with an informal quiz at the PSG Institute of Management on Avanashi Road, which may be general or on a specialized subject. The quiz is usually conducted by a different member each time.The others split into teams, and guess away to glory. Witty answers, uncanny remarks or some of the unlikeliest-of-guesses-which-end-up-being-right, you name it, you’ll find it.
The CQC also conducts its annual Open Quiz, held during the time of January/February, and is currently in the process of promoting quizzing among various schools in and around the district (in collaboration with Samarpan, an NGO).
Details about the informal quizzes will be put up Friday, in the Coimbatore edition of the Metroplus Weekend.
For further details about CQC, contact:
Anjan - +919791803837
Senthil - 09363225581
Mail us at email@example.com if you wish to inform us about quizzes.
Come, join, seek, and you'll see.
This is not an exhaustive list.
2. This is the logo for which product?
3. At school, he formed a stick-ball team called the Nads (providing him and his pals with a chance to shout “Go Nads”). At Yale, he was famous for doing the alligator, a dance that involved falling on the floor and rolling around. At Harvard Business School, he wore cowboy boots and chewed tobacco. Who am I talking about ?
5.Identify this personality and what is his claim to fame?
6. Identify the product being advertised in the picture.
7. And the final connect is…….
The last informal quiz was hosted by vidyuth, and here’s what he had to say,
1. Lord Ganesh (Janus and Ganesh sound the same
Janus is the Roman God of Doors and Beginings
He has 2 Heads - One looking forward and One looking backwards
BTW - January is named after Janus.
2. Zeenat Aman - The perfume was “Zeenat”
3. Photo Electric effect- Einsteins Nobel prize
4. They are both Mascots which appear when the respective studio’s movies begin.
Leo is the mascot for MGM.It is the Lion roaring.
Luxo is the Mascot for Pixar films. It is the jumping desk lamp.
1. Which Indian God would you would you associate with the Roman god Janus, after whom the month of January is named?
2. Who was the first Indian Movie star to have a perfume to be named after him/her ?
3. For which discovery was Albert Einstein given the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921 ?
4. Connect Leo and Luxo ?
5. Connections - the Pain of most quizzes
connect - what else?
-Mr. Yogesh Pai
A quiz by Mr.Senthil Kumar. Whose email ID I forgot to add to the users list. My bad. From next time on, he will post directly.
- What is the word for a person summarized thus: “He ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: he comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.”
- In film language, what would you call “a segment which uses rapid editing, special effects and music to present compressed narrativeinformation”
- In Greek mythology what is the offspring of Poseidon (the God of Sea) and Medusa (the Gorgon) called?
- “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!” – This one is a famous quote from a famous film and has not been swept away by the winds – Name the film.
- Which company won this award “Safest and Most Environmentally Conscious Indian Shipping Company” for the year 2007?
- The use of what has been found to significantly decrease the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)?
- I started my career with “Terry Web and the Spiders” then moved to “Crawling King Snakes.” However, I am most remembered for the work I did with Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and Jimmy Page. Who am I and what was that band called?
- Who am I?
- I was the lover of Aphrodite
- I swam the Hellsponte every night to be with her, but was drowned in a storm.
- I share my name with a famous Tennis Player’s first name
- If you had erythrophobia what would you be afraid of?
- Which country once banned Donald Duck comics because he doesn’t wear pants?
- What is “Olympic Javelin” with respect to the London Olympic Games of 2012?
- If you went to a “chirotonsor” what would you get?
- What is “Saturday night paralysis?”
- To end, this one should be easy. What is a “pangram?”
1. I was born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. and was known more for my trade mark goggles and sky hook shot. Who am I?
2. In which Asterix book did Thompson and Thomson (from Tin Tin) appear?
3. What is it called when a person trades a security while in possession of non-public information?
4. By what term is an economy with moderate growth, low inflation and less unemployment called? (hint: The Three Bears)
5. In business parlance, who or what is a chainsaw consultant?
6. She was employed in TELCO after having written to JRD against gender discrimination in recruitment at TELCO. Excerpts of her last conversation with JRD:
JRD: “So what are you doing, Mrs Kulkarni?”
X: “Sir, I am leaving Telco.”
JRD: “Where are you going?”
X: “Pune, Sir. My husband is starting a company called ________ and I’m shifting to Pune.”
Identify the company and X.
7. In Formula I racing, which flag is waved to signify that there is only one more lap to go before the end of the race?
9. Which tagline did Adidas carry during the Cricket World Cup?
10. After this event, Ratan Tata said it was an ‘unbelievable experience and a terrific, terrific ride.’ What is the event he was talking about?
11. How would words such as brunch, Wikipedia, sysop, slithy, chocoholic etc. be termed?
1.What is presently known as ‘X’ ought to have been named after the first resident of that street.
It was the usual practice then to name streets after the first resident irrespective of their class, caste or contribution.
When civil authorities approached him for his formal approval the humble, religious and self effasive gentleman requested it be named after a famous temple deity.Identify ‘X’.
2. Who are they?
• Max Ray - ‘Brilliant’ Sea Operations Commander
• Jake Rockwell - ‘Rugged’ Land Operations Specialist
• Ace McCloud - ‘Daring’ Air Operations Expert
3.To whose memory did Albert Uderzo dedicate this character fro Asterx and The Falling Sky?
4. In the most common versions of the story, he is an English barber who murders his customers with a cut-throat razor (or “straight razor” in American English),and turns their remains into meat pies. His establishment is situated in the historical Fleet Street of London.
5. This dessert in Italian means “pick me up” but can be translated figuratively as “make me less sad/happier”.
• The first documented mention of this dessert in a published work appears in a Greek cookbook.
• Some claim that it was first created in Northern Italy during the First World War. Women made these desserts for their men to take with them as they were being sent off to war. They might have believed the high caffeine and energy content of these desserts would give their men more energy to fight and help bring them home safely.
6. ‘X’ is a very rich source of Iron, vitamins and anti-oxidants essential for human nutrition.Also known as Puntikura,comes in two varieties, green stemmed leaf and red stemmed. The red stemmed variety is more sour than the green stemmed variety.Identify ‘X’.
She’s the Man A comedy of errors
10 Things I Hate About You Taming of the shrew
Clueless Twelfth Night
Lion King Othello
8. Which company owns the brand Dettol ( parachlorometaxylenol ) ?
9. Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company Ltd started its first cafe in Brigade Road,Bangalore in 1996.Today it is spread across 69 Indian cities and has around 436 outlets.How are their cafe’s better known as ?
Identify t he Band
11. Where can you find these places?
• Kabir Lane
• Vinayak Mudali Street
• Mempi Hills
• Frederick Lawley’s Statue
12. Complete this quote “Shoot all the bluejays you want , if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin ————”
13.Kishore Biyani in his autobiography-”It Happened in India ” says “You might think that X was inspired from Sam Walton’s Wal-mart but the truth is everyone joining us had to spend a week in Y to learn the system.”Identify X and Y
14.Who’s the pokemon character Hitmonchan inspired from?
15.The only known ingredient of this drink is mistletoe.Lobster may be added for flavor.It comes in many other flavors including cheese omelette and vegetable soup.Identify the drink
16.DURING Don Bradman’s Australian cricket team’s tour of England in 1948, someone asked dashing, handsome all rounder Keith Miller to name the three most wonderful sights in England. Without any hesitation, Miller replied, “The hills of Derbyshire, the leg sweep of Denis Compton and ‘X’.Identify ‘X’.
Hey everyone. I know this blog’s been idle since its creation. I wanted it to officially begin after the second meeting. I know I did not turn up for the second meeting as well (ahem), but anyway this has waited long enough.
As of now we could have one quiz a week or every three days. The person who posts the quiz nominates the person who should post the next and inform that person by email. I’ll put up a list of the users on the sidebar for this purpose. Be sure you don’t pick the same person. Please shoot whatever trivia you have about the questions that you read, in the comments section.
This process will go on till our next meeting, and then, if everybody is O.K with this idea, we can have the same or change our plans.
I’ll start it off with a few questions that we took for an intracollegiate quiz this sunday afternoon.
Eg. PIN number
Great to have a Quiz Circle in Cbe; while the QF has been around for over a couple of decades, the focus was on students with mixed results… somehow parents think Class 10 and Class 12 boards are more important that spending a couple of hours a month at a quiz club.!!!
Let’s keep the momentum going